Friday, June 1, 2012

Lying is easier than you think

I was watching one of those crime shows about some wife who allegedly killed her husband, and I was feeling bad for the woman because she seemed so sincere with her innocent pleas, crying and looking like a woman who could not comprehend what was happening to her. It didn't make sense that this woman, seeming so innocent, could be capable of murder.

But then I started thinking, what if I was accused of murder, and it was true and I was guilty and I knew it. Faced with a life sentence in prison or execution most likely or at the very least a solid decade of prison life, I'm pretty sure I could muster up some pretty awesome acting skills to keep my ass safe from daily unwanted advances.

I'm a bad liar and I know it. But that's only because I'm sloppy with my lies for the most part. Being found out isn't much of a concern in most cases, since they're usually little lies mostly involving being too "tired".  But sometimes I'm a really good liar, which usually backfires since lying typically doesn't help situations but rather exacerbates the problems. Trust me (haha) I built a relationship on mountains of lies the size of Kilimanjaro.

I try to be honest in most situations, and when I do lie, it's either because I think the other person will be mad at me or disappointed in me if the truth slips out of my mouth or because I don't care about the person I'm lying to in the least. Not proud of the latter but it does happen, but you'd know damn well if I didn't care about you, and if those people don't, enjoy blissful unawareness.

But anyways, back to the point about liars on trial in a court of law(Are there other courts by the way? I'm going to start referring to basketball courts as a court of basketball).  My overall point is anyone can be lying, no matter how convincing, which is why evidence is so necessary. So the next time you see a crying woman looking so bewildered at the idea she would've killed her husband, remember the alternative to lying is living in a 8x10 cell for the rest of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment