Sunday, August 19, 2012

My Adam Sandler Theory (It's indisputable)

My sister and I were discussing the relative merits to Adam Sandler's movies while watching Mr. Deeds (Granted not his best work, but still funny) when I had a realization. He became what he was supposed to be fighting. 

Bear with me* I have a point. Also if you didn't enjoy Billy Madison and/or Happy Gilmore, you have my permission to leave now.  Okay those who stuck around, You understand why those movies were so great? Let me describe Sandler's characters for you.

Billy Madison - A complete loser and idiot. Is wealthy but only because he lives off his dad's riches. Gets wasted all the time, before going back to 1st grade to get his dad's company. Learns lessons, beats hot shot executive, wins girl, comes out on top. Underdog overcomes odds.

Happy Gilmore - Loser dumped by girlfriend for being a failed hockey player. Realizes he has insane golfing ability. Beats hot shot golfer and wins girl. Underdog overcomes odds.

What is the common theme between them? Adam Sandler starts out as a failure of life, no girlfriend, no future, no purpose. Then through a series of absurd events, he comes out the victor in the end.

Agreed there is a theme there? Now let's lightly analyze his characters in Grown Ups & You don't mess with the Zohan. Those movies were by all accounts, disasters. I've watched both and came away regretting every second I spent watching these two abominations. Now here is a brief description of these two Sandler characters.

Grown Ups - Rich, successful, smoking hot wife played by Salma Hayek. Friends in the movie all have inferior positions in life. No underdog story here.

You don't mess with the Zohan - He plays a Israeli Special Forces Soldier. He is fawned over by all women, and sleeps with a multitude of women. Underdog? No. Loser? No.

So as you can see, it's obvious that Sandler as a cool guy is not cool with us. We want the loser. Whatever, I just hope I'm not the only one confused by Bobby Boucher as a rich guy married to Kate Beckinsale.

No comments:

Post a Comment